Fri, Nov 24|
Storylines Poetry Salon with Ars Poetica
Calling all poets of all levels for an hour of creative writing and community building in partnership with Ars Poetica. Storylines is hosted by Micah Greenberg, TNM Executive Director and Ars Poetica poet! FREE with RSVP and open to everyone 18+. Online, each week, from 9 - 10 am PT/ 12 - 1 pm ET.
Time & Location
Nov 24, 2023, 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM PST
About the Event
Those who join in TNM online sessions should familiarize themselves with our participation disclaimer and agreement at thenarrativemethod.org/tnm-disclaimer.
How It Works (1-hour Sessions):
INTRODUCTION & INSPIRATION
- Faciliator sets up the session, including the TNM Core Concept of the week, a photo and a prompt.
WRITING: 21 Minutes
- Along with the photo you'll get the first prompt (7 minutes to write).
- Next, you'll get a second prompt to weave into your piece (7 minutes to write).
- Then it is time to edit into a maximum of 1 page or 500 words (7 minutes to write).
BREAKOUT GROUPS: 14 Minutes
- After the writing, you are randomly assigned to small breakout groups with 3-4 other participants.
- Everyone takes turns reading their piece without stopping for conversation or feedback. Simple acknowledgements such as "thank you for sharing" are welcome - and snaps, of course! While each person shares, focus on witnessing without judgement.
- After everyone has shared, feel free to discuss your process, the concept and prompt, or share about something else that's going on with you that may be relevant to the group experience.
- NOTE: If someone in your group shares something deeply personal and may be in distress, please ask them if they are okay in this moment and don't hesitate to send a direct message to the facilitator.
MOSAICS: 7 Minutes
- Following the small breakout groups, you will go into larger groups (10 to 15) and share one line from what you've written in a kind of poetry collage.
GROUP SHARE: Remaining Time
- In the final minutes, the group comes together to share their thoughts about their experience, answer questions, go deeper and have fun!
Remain aware and conscientious of your choice of words and tone. Please do not ask personal questions or give advice. Hate speech or hurtful behavior, regardless of the context will not be tolerated and will lead to immediate removal from the session.
Confidentiality is essential. What is said in the group must stay here. We do not record these session and will not tolerate any recording, transcribing, repeating others' stories or otherwise infringing on the rights and privacy of others.
To ensure that everyone feels comfortable sharing their stories and their feelings, we require everyone to have their cameras on during sessions, except while writing. If you do not comply you will be removed from the session.
When listening to others' stories, put yourself aside so you can hear others from their perspective, without your own assumptions getting in the way. Your job is only to witness each other with appreciation.