Thu, Dec 14|
Thursday Night Write with DANA!
Clear your head and open your mind to a fun and creative experience of short-form creative writing using prompts every Thursday from 6:00-7:00pm PST / 9:00-10:00pm EST. Release your inner critic and follow your inspiration. Nothing to bring but pen, paper and who you really are.
Time & Location
Dec 14, 2023, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM PST
About the Event
How it Works!
INTRODUCTION & INSPIRATION - A TNM facilitator sets up the session, including the Core Concept of the week, and a photo or video prompt is presented.
WRITING: 21 Minutes
- Along with the image you'll get the first prompt (7 minutes to write).
- Next, you'll get a second prompt to weave into your piece (7 minutes to write).
- Then it is time to edit into a maximum of 1 page or 500 words (7 minutes to write).
BREAKOUT GROUPS: 14 Minutes
- After the writing, everyone is randomly assigned to small breakout groups.
- Everyone takes turns reading their piece without stopping for conversation or feedback. Simple acknowledgements such as "thank you for sharing that" are welcome.
- While each person shares their work, focus on simply bearing witness without judgement.
- After everyone has shared, feel free to discuss your process, the concept or the prompt. Speak for yourself only and refrain from giving advice or asking probing questions.
- NOTE: If someone in your group shares something deeply personal and may be in distress, please ask them if they are okay in this moment and don't hesitate to send a direct message to the TNM facilitator.
SHARE - In the final minutes, the group comes together to share their thoughts about their experience.
HANGOUT - We stay an extra 15 minutes to continue the conversation, discuss the experience, answer questions, go deeper and have fun!
Remain aware and conscientious of your choice of words and tone. Please do not ask personal
questions or give advice. Hate speech or hurtful behavior, regardless of the context
will not be tolerated and will lead to immediate removal from the session. Don't speak like an authority, even if you are one!
When listening to others' stories, put yourself aside so you can hear others from
their perspective, without your own assumptions getting in the way. Your job is only to
witness each other with appreciation.
In final breakout session, when writing is shared, please raise your hand rather than call out and be mindful of how long you speak so that there is time for others to share.
To ensure that everyone feels comfortable sharing their stories and their feelings, we require everyone to have their cameras on during sessions, except while writing. No exceptions. If you do not comply you will be removed from the session.
Confidentiality is essential. What is said in the group must stay here. We do not record these session and will not tolerate any recording, transcribing, repeating others' stories or otherwise infringing on the rights and privacy of others.