Thu, Dec 07|
Thursday Night Write with Shari Foos & Guest Sierra Smith
Get social and unleash your creativity with stress-free, judgement-free, short-form writing based on pictures and prompts. "Thursday Night Write" is *free* and open to 18+. Sign up, show up and join a growing community. Online each week - all from the comfort of home.
Time & Location
Dec 07, 2023, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM PST
About the Event
About Guest Sierra Smith:
Sierra has had the privilege of serving as executive director for Open Paths Counseling Center since 2016. Her fifteen years of nonprofit experience, in both Los Angeles and Chicago, shifted over the years from arts and culture, to animal welfare, to higher education, to social services.
In addition to leading Open Paths, Sierra serves as a board director for Economic Resources Corporation, a nonprofit real estate investment organization that removes blight and builds economy in underserved communities throughout Los Angeles. She was adjunct faculty at Antioch University Los Angeles for several years, where she taught a cultural diversity course in the Graduate Psychology Department, guest lectured in the Masters in Nonprofit Management Program, and served as chair of their advisory committee. Sierra is the past chair for the Culver City Chamber of Commerce Nonprofit committee, and currently serves as co-chair for the Funders Circle for the South LA / Southbay African American Infant & Maternal Mortality Community Action Team (SLA/SB AAIMM CAT). She is married, with two school-aged children, and a scrappy mixed breed dog named Stella.
How It Works (1-hour Sessions):
INTRODUCTION & INSPIRATION
- A TNM facilitator sets up the session, including the TNM Core Concept of the week, a photo and a prompt.
WRITING: 21 Minutes
- Along with the photo you'll get the first prompt (7 minutes to write).
- Next, you'll get a second prompt to weave into your piece (7 minutes to write).
- Then it is time to edit into a maximum of 1 page or 500 words (7 minutes to write).
BREAKOUT GROUPS: 14 Minutes
- After the writing, you are randomly assigned to small breakout groups with 3-4 other participants.
- Everyone takes turns reading their piece without stopping for conversation or feedback. Simple acknowledgements such as "thank you for sharing" are welcome. While each person shares, focus on witnessing without judgement.
- After everyone has shared, feel free to discuss your process, the concept and prompt, or share about something else that's going on with you that may be relevant to the TNM experience. Speak for yourself only and refrain from giving advice or asking probing questions.
- NOTE: If someone in your group shares something deeply personal and may be in distress, please ask them if they are okay in this moment and don't hesitate to send a direct message to the TNM facilitator.
- In the final minutes, the group comes together to share their thoughts about their experience, answer questions, go deeper and have fun!
Remain aware and conscientious of your choice of words and tone. Please do not ask personal questions or give advice. Hate speech or hurtful behavior, regardless of the context will not be tolerated and will lead to immediate removal from the session.
Confidentiality is essential. What is said in the group must stay here. We do not record these session and will not tolerate any recording, transcribing, repeating others' stories or otherwise infringing on the rights and privacy of others.
To ensure that everyone feels comfortable sharing their stories and their feelings, we require everyone to have their cameras on during sessions, except while writing. If you do not comply you will be removed from the session.
When listening to others' stories, put yourself aside so you can hear others from their perspective, without your own assumptions getting in the way. Your job is only to witness each other with appreciation.